Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Great Week





And we picked the last one!


Turns out this week is great. Who would have thought? My house has gotten extremely messy, sort of clean, extremely mess, sort of clean, extremely messy, mostly clean....you get it, but hey its pretty much warm (for being built in the 60s) and definitely keeping us dry.

Jason is swamped at work and tonite he is swamped at church and basketball so I plan to have a date with red box and wrapping the packages in my closet.

The big news is my sister, Courtney, found out what she is having, so go to her blog to find out. We are thrilled.

So far we have NOT made sugar cookies or texas sheet cake. But have made three batches of Wassail. I did get a cute haircut and went to In and Out. Also I made a quick run to the store in between rain showers and picked up ingredients for the famous McCoy cheese ball. We shall see if I make it or just look at the jar of chipped beef which is a first time purchase for me.

Found out Jason is off Friday which is delightful



Finally read to my kids the Best Christmas Pageant Ever strongly recommended by Laurie and it was darling. Luke loved it especially when the Herdmans wanted to burn Herod alive (really its a sweet book, my son is just attracted to the most violent part).

Why on Christmas Eve do they show Its a Wonderful Life and The Christmas Story at the exact same time on different channels? How can you choose? They did the same thing last year. Actually I can, IWL wins for me while Jason prefers TCS.

Here is a quote I came across via my sister Lindsey.
"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." - C.S. Lewis.

I'm happy to report that I do know that Jesus is the Son of God and think my kids know that too. Fortunately its a very open topic at our house, most often at breakfast and in the car. I love Christmas because of all the differences in Christian religions we can all be united in celebrating Him together. If we are truly Christian we easily transfer that spirit of unity to all those of other faiths who don't believe in Him but are still our brothers and sisters in the world. Afterall, that is what He would do and He loves me and my family just as much as the families who are Jewish, Hindu, or Muslim. Lets have peace on Earth already

Two new cute Christmas books we have stumbled across and adding to our collection.

Little Porcupine's Christmas was darling and from Darby's kindergarten teacher about a porcupine who gets left out of the Nativity, but then finds his place (he has an awesome mom too). Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert is by the illustrator of Mrs. Biddlebox so of course I already love it. Answers lots of Santa questions for smart kids in a way I really like. Good luck Santa, only a few days left, but I know you can pull it off!




I'm hoping the rain stops enough to go to Canyon Gate to see the Christmas show so let us know if you want to come too on Thursday nite.




2 comments:

tphillips said...

It's a Wonderful Life is DEFINITELY my top pick too!

bro said...

Thanks for the shirt, I will wear it on Christmas. Am excited for when not in airport and can watch videos. I liked pics 2+3.