But I've been thinking of why I love it so much? Fist of all its because my mom made them so fun. Balloons, banners, homemade signs, presents, cake, and you got to pick what she cooked for dinner. I always picked mashed potatoes and meatballs and gravy and then lemon pie for dessert (for a long period I didn't love cake). So birthdays are meant to be fun. Birthdays remind me of all the possibilities, the anticipation. Of one day a year of doing exactly what you want to do and hearing from all the people you love. That is cool. For my 30th birthday, I went to Disneyland for free..and also got surprised by my friends at a frozen yogurt shop.
Some birthdays are better than others, some birthdays I get in my own way or stress too much. A few years ago that I don't need anyone to make a fuss of it cause I do a dang good job of that myself. I'm a big believer in not waiting or hoping someone else will remember you, but just planning or remembering yourself. Having kids taught me that.
Or maybe its cause birthdays provide the excuse to do unusually fun things that you normally don't make a priority...and your friends and family are obligated to go along with your wishes cause its your birthday. Like eating Indian food. Or watching a incredibly cheesy movie.
So starting near January, when I'm in the car, the shower, day dreaming during quiet moments in the day...I'm planning my birthday. and what do I usually end up doing? Not much. But I still love it. I'm constantly planning what I'm going to eat...
One birthday a year is really not enough for an indecisive lady who over analyzes and builds it up in her head. Thankfully there are always a lot of options to choose from that would make me happy.
Luke's birthday is the day after mine, and a few years ago I realized it just made my birthday last longer, like a full birthday week. But really, once March 1st hits, I'm already celebrating. And planning. Mothers have to provide their own cake, who is going to bake it for you? (I've been spoiled by my sister with desserts and one year, Sara, gave me a whole homemade cheesecake which was so awesome and will always remember). So right now I'm debating between getting the super chocolate cake from Costco or buying a quart of pb and chocolate ice cream from baskin robbins. Oh wait, has anyone tried the tuxedo mouse cake they have at Costco? That looks good too. I think I'm going to order take out from Sam's Grill which is a middle eastern place that gives me killer garlic breath and make my kids what Pride and Prejudice with me.
So I've compiled a list of all my dream birthday activities. Maybe this should be my bucket list instead of a standard one. A birthday bucket list. Or maybe I should try and do them all in one year instead of resolutions? Maybe that could be the year of indulgence and selfishness? Probably not good goals.
Here is my birthday idea list. I think many could be combined.
1. Watch my favorite movies all day long, see how many I can squeeze in.
(Step Up 1 & 2, Pride and Prejudice, Whip It, Bride and Prejudice, Bend it like Beckham, Matrix)
2. Eat desserts all day.
3. Work out, eat breakfast, go to lunch with Jason, go shopping, watch a movie.
4. Go to the mall, get a pedicure, watch a movie.
5. Go to the temple with a bunch of girls and lunch afterwards
6. Finally go to the Getty museum and take a picture of the view
7. Eat Bruschetta. I really love Bruschetta
8. Take a hot bath...shoot now I want to take one right now.
9. Go to one of those bounce house places...seriously why don't they have adult parties?
10. Go rollerskating or ice skating
11. Have a big party at my house and eat my chocolate Costco cake, seriously those things last forever. Ya know the four layer one?
12. Eat the biggest Pinkberry ever. I love regular with blood orange...mmmmmmmm
13. Eat Indian Food (whats up with me being obsessed with eating?)
14. Zumba :) really working out just makes me happy.
15...Oooooo...Fondue would be fun.
16. Go to the spa. Get a massage.
17. Go snow skiing...better do that one a bit early like feb.
18. Go to a concert.
19. See a musical at pantages theatre.
20. Shop at h & m. Does third street have one? It's been years since I've been there.
21. Sea world.....I need to put this one higher plus the kids would love it
22. Sleep in. And then take a nap later :)
Crap...thats all I could think of. I was hoping to make it til 33. I'll need to think of some more, dang it.
So Happy Early Birthday to me. Happy Birthday to you too whenever yours is. Lets start planning it.