Friday, January 21, 2011

Boy vs Girls

Yesterday I was reminded the difference between girls and boys. Since I don't think a girl would stick their plastic sword in the power box outside until sparks flew out. And if she did that would surely be enough excitement and a scare. But my boy not only invented that idea but then ten minutes later tried to do it again to try and make more sparks because he thought they were cool, even if his neighbor friend was telling him not to do it again. And of course while he was perfectly well behaved the hour of so I was keeping an eye on him outside would execute his grand idea when I was showing my friend (his friend's mom) the rearrangement of the upstairs bedrooms. But to my boys credit, when I was calling his dad shortly after to wonder why the breaker wasn't working as well as any of the appliances and many of the outlets, my boy confessed that he had something to do with it. So over the course of an hour I unraveled what had happened, not that much was volunteered but when I directly asked ("So did you do it before or after I opened the window upstairs and yelled to see how you were doing? Both? Really! Because you wanted more sparks to come out? Yes?") I learned a little bit more each time.

Fortunately the only other boy of the house, or man I should say, is quite the genius in figuring odd stuff like this out and while he couldn't fix the breaker (we do have most lights working, just not the garage door, fridge, stove, laundry, dishwasher, microwave, and most outlets) he made an extension cord maze around the house so that we can at least use the fridge and the stove. And he was able to manually open the garage and get my car out....good thing Jason is handy like that. But can we last til Monday (the soonest we can get someone to come look at it) ....or possibly much later with this rigged contraptions? We better, but our power box was a old and a bit fickle already, might not be a quick fix. As Jason said, 'its fried." I'd much rather have my boy safe (even if he has earn back privileges for a while especially depending on how expensive the fix) and healthy than imagine what could have happened when someone repeatedly sticks things in a power box to try and make sparks come out. Even if it takes all our money to fix it, I would give all my money to not have him be the one that is broken or gone. Very scary.

Not many girl woulds have thought to do that...ruin makeup and nail polish and dump stuff out is more their thing....which is good to know since I'm going to have four of them. Not sure this old house (built in 1967 I think) would survive if the numbers were switched the other way.

What did we eat for dinner while waiting for dad? Cups of cereal, granola bars and bread, since the toaster of no use either. Everyone passed on having bananas. Surprisingly I kept my cool, also helped how remorseful Luke was (he said two prayers before I even suggested the idea and was an angel the rest of the nite), plus his dad was mad enough for both of us. Jason is still pretty mild when he is mad but he doesn't get mad often. Good practice for when he wrecks the car as a teenager, afterall he is my son. Just another exciting nite at the McCoy house, never know what is going to happen.

8 comments:

Brandi Bartee said...

Glad he is okay and that you kept your calm. Don't think I would have been able to do that and don't think I want to experience that to find out what I would have done. I hope someone gets out there sooner to help you with the breaker. Thanks for sharing your adventure though.

Nancy Jo said...

I am so glad it was a plastic sword instead of something that conducted electricity - although he might have learned quicker if it did give him a mild jolt. Sooo happy he is not hurt. Good teaching tool for all kids of what could happen. Hope you can get it fixed soon without being too costly.

Lindsey said...

Yay. Glad you didn't have to put all your fridge in coolers. I will pray that it lasts until Mon. Nathan said boys in school always stuck in gum wrappers in sockets to try to get sparks.

Mommy said...

My goodness! That is quite a story. Thanks for sharing. I just may use it as a teaching tool when my kiddos start getting 'ideas'... I, too, would gladly give all my $$ to know that your son survived. Too scary.

Renee said...

He is definitely all boy. I'm glad he is okay though, that is scary! Great for me though, between J,M, or T I'm sure something like that will happen at our house. Hopefully it doesn't cost you much to fix.

Sara Jane said...

That is crazy. I'm so surprised that the first time didn't scare him off--that a boy for sure! I hope you get everything up and running soon.

embot said...

ok. what is going on here brooke? are we the only ones with near death experiences happening lately? so crazy! so glad he is ok. can't believe you have to wait til monday! you want to come to dinner tomorrow? totally stinks we aren't next door neighbors.

Courtney said...

First off, I am so glad Luke is okay, but secondly, I can't stop laughing. Man, what a story! That is one for the books! I am glad you were able to keep your cool! That is just crazy how much damage one sword can do! I hope that you guys manage well over the weekend! This is definitely going to be a "remember when..." story for years to come.