Monday, March 17, 2008

Knitting Club


These are the family stockings that is my long term goal....long long term goal. Everyone in my extended family has them on my mother's side and only one great aunt and her son can make them. We need to change that.

The pic on the right is Nona. Who I met near Simi Valley on a fieldtrip for class. I had never seen someone spin before. Seems therapeutic. But the funny thing Nona said was that she doesn't use the yarn she spins. She just hoards it away. I would love to check out her closet.





Meet my knitting buddies.
On Wednesday nights you will find us at the church knitting away and the latest project. We stay til everyone else has left. I am a beginner knitter. Mae is the teacher on the right. She is a master knitter. no joke, she is dang good. Amazing. If there is a problem she can fix it. And she expects perfection. When you do you get a chance to bug (and I bug her) an expert when you are learning something knew? and for free?

Thanks Mae, you rock.

Here is another spinning wheel. Last Tuesday our group drove up to watch these ladies spin. There is even a spinners guild. I wonder if they will ever strike? I asked one gal why she liked spinning and she said it was the connection to her foremothers. I can get that. Thats how I felt when I canned my grandma's chili sauce. There was even a lady from Bama there who graduated from Birmingham Southern. The world is small.

But right now, I'm not knitting, I'm crocheting. This is my trying to be baby blanket. My fellow classmates have already busted out two already and look at my six inches. So, I'm slow. We are making 24 blankets for a humanitarian project at church. All that work will hopefully snuggle up to a little newborn who needs some love. Love from the blanket and was slow in the making. The spinners told me this was a popcorn stitch. I thought I'd get kicked out bringing crochet to a knitting party, but nope. Speaking of getting kicked out...

The party was at the Luthern church, which one gal said was close to a Catholic. And since this Sunday is Easter I thought the picture was appropriate. We Mormons don't wear crosses or have them on our buildings, all because of Easter...because Jesus was resurrected. He lives. (ceremonious music in the background) Don't you love this Mormon 101 mini-tutorial? Are you learning tons? Okay, so most of you...maybe not.

In fact, this Sunday, Jason is speaking in church, so do you want to come and listen? You can sit with me and help wrangle my children. I'll need some help. I have been inviting my neighbors because I figure he is pretty safe. One of my favorite things about my religion is that the congregation takes turns 'volunteering' to speak in church. So every week its a little different. Two weeks ago this guy compared the gospel to his love of Star Wars...at least Luke was paying attention. And Jason for sure isn't getting paid. And once a month, anyone can go up. Jason's subject is pretty easy: Jesus and the Atonement. Kinda makes me chuckle when I hear these haters telling me I'm not a Christian. Off the soap box for now. Don't forget to say your prayers. Dude.

8 comments:

Renee said...

So when are you coming over to teach me? Or I will come over to your house. Either way I really want to learn.

Amber said...

I want to learn too. Maybe we can start our own mini knitting club. My mother in law tried to teach me, but with her living in Iowa, I didn't get very good. Could only go back and forth. Made a scarf though.

And Paul is speaking this Sunday also. Third year in the past four, to speak on Easter. So either he's real good, or hasn't gotten it right yet. HA HA....

Claire Thompson said...

When Eric gets released from scouts I am so joining knitting club!!

christy said...

i want to learn to knit and crochet. I just haven't gotten around to it though. we need a church group like that. i would go. i took weaving at byu and it was fun and theraputic and it's cool because you feel all old timey and all. i made lidia a baby blanket on the loom. i have not spun yarn on the wheel though. one day i will learn all this stuff. right now i should be sewing instead of blogging.

agirlnamedgay said...

seriously brooke, who are you?!! out of no where, you're always busting out with something new and innovative. you will never see anything like that on my blog. if i could just be more like brooke... by the way thanks for my daily entertainment!

Heather said...

I started crocheting a blanket. I did the stich wrong or something because it is taking way too much yarn. If I ever finish it, it will weigh 100 lbs. Right now, it's as long as a twin bed, but only about two feet wide. I think I've used 5 or 6 jumbo things of yarn already. I started it so long ago, I haven't been able to find the same yarn. I need to just undo it and use a different, looser stitch. I tried to knit one time but didn't have any luck with it.

Amber said...

I spoke last Sunday, so Lee was the one wrestling the children.

Anonymous said...

Your crocheting looks fabulous!!! I am so impressed! So uniform. Much better than mine. I'm jealous.
xoxomom