Sunday, December 30, 2012

Unforgettable Christmas


Before this year comes to a close,
we have to remember our most memorable Christmas
and so it will get in the blog book.

This year I will never forget Christmas. 
and I hope my kids never do either.

This year we were showered upon by blessings
when we had no inkling of how it would come together
All the Christmas carols and movies and stories
seemed a little brighter and more meaningful.

We found out Santa even remembers adults too.

I was anticipating my kids opening presents
that were left on our door that I have no idea who from.

The thing that is so neat about anonymous gifts is that it can be from anyone. 
Anyone.  A neighbor, old friends, new friends, we never know
so as I looked around and talked to people in our life I wondered
'Maybe it was them?"  Part of me dies that I don't know
and part of me is glad because not knowing makes me treat everyone
 as if they were the ones.

And then we had friends and family who reached out to us
that was so touching I thought I'd just cry every day
crying for happy, reasons seemed to pop up every day
Thank you thank you. 



" And the Grinch put a hand to his ear. And he did hear a sound rising over the snow. It started in low. Then it started to grow... But the sound wasn't sad! Why, this sound sounded merry! It couldn't be so! But it WAS merry! VERY! He stared down at Who-ville! The Grinch popped his eyes! Then he shook! What he saw was a shocking surprise! Every Who down in Who-ville, the tall and the small, Was singing! Without any presents at all! He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming! IT CAME! Somehow or other, it came just the same! And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow, Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so? It came without ribbons! It came without tags! "It came without packages, boxes or bags!" And he puzzled three hours, `till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. "Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"


Then then you know that part in Its a Wonderful Life,
where Jimmy Stewart's character is back with his family
 and surrounded by his friends who were showering him with love and money and support.
Thats how I felt this year.
People he had known for a long time and people who were newer.
And then the part when he first gets home
 and the knob comes off on the railing
but he kisses it instead of cursing it like the other time?
Well I felt like that too.
Love that George Bailey.

A few times I wondered, 
"What do people do without friends and without the church and without family." 
Because I know there are plenty who are in need who don't have those. 

Or other times I felt like maybe the Lord gave us our best gift of all this year
to see more fully our treasures and rely on Him more.
Our five beautiful children
to see the gospel of Christ in action
The gift of time with my husband and our dad of the family.
to show how much more we could be giving when we are back 'to normal'
there is definitely a new normal here,
because we don't ever want to forget this Christmas
Thank you to all who made it so special.


This was the first year the kids got gifts for each other and their dad. 
they loved it.
They worked for it or had it saved.
(Darby recycled our cans and plastics)
they loved what their siblings got for them.
and Jason made them all walking sticks from branches he cut from our tree
smoothed out and their initials in them
(cause our kids need more sticks! ha!...but they loved them)




 This was Baylie's favorite present, thank you to whoever you are. 







not everything I share on the blog. 
Some are too special for me, but I hope you get a taste.
Cause I want my kids to read this and our family over and over.

This talk by President Uchtdorf allowed me to open my heart and RECEIVE.

everyone, everyone needs to read it.
but especially people in my family since we like to be the givers.

I am so grateful for what this Christmas taught me.
I pray for all those who gave to us.
I know our future is bright and we have lots of hope.
Our faith is firmer in Christ.

Also, if you have been still thinking of those families who lost their treasures of children and family like I have (I've been reading about them in my mom's People magazine!)
The Lord loves us all.  Hope you went to church and had a good Sunday like I did.
Sure nice to see everyone in Alabama.   Glad we are here for a little bit longer.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for the good cry. This is a wonderful post. The true meaning of Christmas.

Claire Thompson said...

I loved that talk too, there were really so many good ones last GC. Glad you had a good Christmas, glad you get to be with family in AL.

Unknown said...

I am thankful for angels on earth who take care of each other. Here's to the most fabulous 2013. We love all your guts to the core....enjoy bama.

RachelAA said...

This is such a beautiful post and I can relate to much of it so thank you for sharing!! Merry Christmas :)

Heather said...

You are so inspiring! Cute pictures! Loved having all those Evans grand kids in Primary Sunday!