Tuesday, May 15, 2012

my favorite salad to make right now


Here it is.  My baby.  I love her. 

I eat her every day.
She is helping me to try and fit in my mint green pants?  Remember those?  See I was cool before everyone else knew colored pants were cool... 

Did I mention I don't care for Spinach?
 Unless its with eggs and bacon or strawberries and sugary dressing. 
So this is the healthier version. 

Did you know quinoa can freeze?  I just soaked mine for 15 minutes and then rinsed it good.

I made a bunch of it and then freeze and store the rest.

Lemon dressings are in my DNA.  Seriously, its cause we are Swiss.

Okay, here is what I do in case you want to try it. 

My mom would hate this.   



Spinach Only. Tons of it.  

1/3 cup chopped marinated artichoke hears 

red pepper (or yellow or orange)

1/2 cup quinoa (the only grain thats a true protein)

a little real parmesan cheese

half a lemon

1 tsp olive oil

1/4 -1/2 tsp salt. 

Mix well and taste a leaf to make sure its lemony.
 maybe a few more dashes of salt.   Salt is magic. 


sometimes I add avocado if I have it.  

Early in the week I chop the spinach red pepper and artichokes.  Then toss in what I need.

Tell me if you have any good suggestions. 

Hooray, now I actually can eat spinach.  






8 comments:

RachelAA said...

You're lookin' so good I'm sold on this salad. Thanks

Nancy Jo said...

Does Jason eat it? The kids?

Crazy Lady said...

nope. just me

Arianne said...

Allison gave me this recipe for a spinach smoothie that I LOVE!

Half a bag of spinach (yes, half!)
6 strawberries
1 banana
1 scoop whey protein powder (I use Trader Joe's vanilla flavor)
a few ice cubes
1/2 or 1 cup of water
tablespoon agave syrup

blend and drink. Yummy!

Lauren said...

Is this the Salad I had to miss the other day! I knew I would love it!!! Make it Saturday!!!

Jenn said...

I love spinach!!! eat it all the time... especially when I know my iron is low! This salad looks yummy! i want to try that syrup too.... what's agave syrup?

Jenn said...

smoothie... i want to try the smoothie..geesh

embot said...

yumzy. i want to come up so you can make this for me and show off your fancy salad skills. aren't i thoughtful?