Wednesday, April 2, 2008

5 Year Old Negotiations

This is the conversation at dinner tonite with Luke after we had just finished eating beef enchiladas (one of his favorite meals)...to the best of my memory cause I'm about to fall asleep now.

Luke: Mom, when we try something I don't like and then you make it for dinner, I already know I don't like it.

Me: Like what?

Luke: Mashed potatoes, beans, all the other kinds of beans...ummm...hmmm....ummm

Me: Shepard's pie

Luke: Yes! Shepard's pie. I don't like shepard's pie.

Me: But you used to like shepard's pie. (should shepards pie be capitalized?)

Luke: That was when my mind was crazy and it told me to eat it, but I really don't like it.

Me: Okay

Luke: Maybe you could cook yucky food for you, Darby and Dad, then you could also cook yummy food for me that I do like. Together, you could do both of them mom. You could do both of them.

Me: That is a good idea Luke.. You should tell your dad this when he gets home.

Luke: Or you could just not cook the stuff I don't like.

Me: (Thought to myself "Shepard's pie is soo staying on the menu"...but good try cutie pie boy, I love you for being so smart)

My shepard's pie is so a family-only-not-for-company meal. Cause I put cooked and seasoned ground beef in a casserole dish. Slather on Campbell's tomato soup. Dump a drained can of green beans. Smooth on instant mashed potatoes and sprinkle with cheese. Then pop it into the oven...covered of course. Jason loves it and it pretty much epitomizes the type of meal Jason likes. And I can put it together during naps and then throw it in the oven later.

12 comments:

Courtney said...

I am impressed with Luke's reasoning. I love it when kids try to convince you of something. I am with Luke though...that Shepard's pie sounds disgusting. :) I probably wouldn't eat it either. No offense Brooke. :)

christy said...

it's hard not to make things the hubby likes but i would make it for him to take for lunch or something. I hate Shepard's Pie. I like those things individually but not together. I had never had it until Cory's mom served it once and I almost couldn't get it down and I thought it was like the strangest grossest idea ever. I try to make things my kids will like too because I want them to eat what I serve. I will not make them something else if they don't like it. If they don't eat much dinner, they just have to wait and fill up at breakfast. I don't want to end up making 5 different dishes for dinner.

mist said...

Wow! That is an excellent description of shepherd's pie (no caps required)...and that is why....YOU SHOULD NEVER MAKE IT. I am nauseated thinking about it. I am with Luke and Cort!

Lindsey said...

I love the easy to make dinners. I need to find more regulars. Dallas really would want noodles every meal though. Luke his hilarious! He is so smart.

brookeisacrazylady said...

you guys are wrong...shepards pie is great. embrace your inner mormon casserole cooking. don't be haters if you haven't tried it...or mine.

cori said...

"that was when my mind was crazy"...that made me laugh. he is so so funny.

and he is not crazy... i don't like shephards pie either. i can't take it. i know its because i was in michigan at a potluck...the gross kind, and i dug into it, thinking..mashed potatoes..safe right. no. i huge fat no. i couldn't get it down. i loved reading your commentary. you are such a fun mom!

Claire Thompson said...

Okay, Okay people, you have never eaten a good Shepherds Pie and Brooke you are not making it right, there is no tomato soup in a shepherds pie, its meat with onion, peas and carrots mixed with delicious gravy with mash ontop, even better if you mash potato and parsnip together. And, shepherds pie is actually made with lamb, if you make it with beef its called Cottage Pie.

Anonymous said...

haha! luke is hilarious! that made me laugh pretty good. But, Shephard's Pie or Cottage Pie or whatever you want to call it - IS GOOD! Ground beef, pototoes, cheese, and green beans are good separate AND together! I'll keep eating it, Honey!
- Jason

Heather said...

Funny Kid! We all love a chicken and rice casserole that my Mother always made. It's easy and can be put together ahead of time. You boil the chicken and tear it into bit size pieces. Cook the rice. Mix the chicken, rice, cream of chicken soup, and a little mayo. Put it in a casserole dish. Just before you put it in the oven, top it with broken up Ritz crackers and drizzle with melted butter. You really just cook it long enough to heat everything up and brown the crackers on top. Soo yummy. I got lazy and just mixed the chicken, rice, cream of chicken soup, and mayo. It's good like that too, but the crackers and butter make it better.

christy said...

oh heather, i hate the chicken and rice casserole. mostly because of the mayo and cream of chicken in it but i don't really like any casseroles.

mist said...

It is a fact based on this post...as Mormons or as a society in general...we definately should ban casseroles. Along with that should be the utter destruction of the "funeral potato" casserole.
Toodles!

Heather said...

Well, all of us except Christy love it.